Thursday, September 13, 2012

Jealous of your childs Taggie Blanket?


Thanks to my daughters loving grandmother and other family members sewing away she had close to 10 Taggie blankets before she was even born.  My daughter loves her blankets and her grandmother even made her one that could cuddle up and stay warm with (yellow and gray blanket in picture) The blankets are super soft and comfy. I found myself jealous of my daughters blanket and wanted one for myself. At first I was going to just use the Minky fabric typically used for the blankets and leave off the tags. But, then I thought maybe I could cuddle up with my little one and give her something to entertain her, so I decided to add them. I made the green blanket in the picture above and we both love to cuddle with it.

Now that the temperature is starting to cool off outside I thought I would share in case anyone else wants to get inspired to make their own.

Supplies:

Scissors
Thread
2 yards of Minky Fabric (or fabric of your choice)
2 yards of Anti Pill Fleece (or fabric of your choice)
Several different (size, texture, color) ribbon scraps (about 4 inches long each)
Sewing pins


Directions:

1. Place the two pieces of fabric with the insides facing each other and try to line up the edges as close as you can.

2.  Now you should place and pin your ribbons where you want them to be on the blankets. The two edges of the ribbon tag should be at the edge of the blanket and the loop should should face the center of the blanket. Spacing can be measured or you can eyeball where you want them.

3. Next, you will sew around the entire blanket. Leave about a foot in length so that you can turn the blanket right side out.

4. Once the blanket is right side out and all the ribbons are showing. You can go around the edge of the blanket one more time to close off the foot of fabric you have yet to sew, and to ensure the ribbons are secure.

5. Done!


Tips: Minky fabric can be pricey ($14.99 a yard at Joann Fabrics) use coupons. Joann Fabrics will take competitor coupons and you can use as many coupons as you have items for.

No comments: